Earthquakes are often very gruesome. It causes huge collateral damage. Thus, it requires one to be prepared with all plans to safeguard oneself, and the remedies after damage.
Today, the technology has developed and we are able to detect possible earthquakes before a few days. The disaster may cause cracks in the walls, realignment of doors and windows, sinking the buildings or homes to the ground, and more. The damage by an earthquake depends on its magnitude, proximity, duration, and the present condition of the home or building. The condition of the damaged property might worsen, if not restored on time.
Pre Earthquake Remediation
A person should be prepared before the disaster. The property must be strong enough or remediations should be taken to protect it. As the disaster may cause damage to the property, there must be certain remediations to be taken before the occurrence of an earthquake. These earthquake remediation are as follows:
- Reinforce chimneys, cracked walls, concrete walls, and weaken masonry.
- Allow the water heater and gas appliances to bolt down.
- Flexible pipings should be replaced by metal piping.
- Strengthen the structure of the property by installing positive connectors at the joints.
- Install automatic gas shut-off valve to prevent gas leak.
These remedies before the earthquake may prevent your property from any damage. Apart from these, you may also take several steps to secure your home or building. Allow large and tall furniture items to the wall, place heavy and large materials on the lower shelf, put latches on cabinet doors and drawers, put the heavy items away from your place you sit or sleep. In addition, stay prepared always.
The building or home may become weak after the disaster. Therefore, it needs to be restored. To make the property safe and secure from further damage, we need to make the home more efficient and safer. Hence, there are several measures to be considered while restoration of your property:
- Restore Gas Lines: It is mostly possible that the gas lines are damaged due to the disaster. The leaking of gas is dangerous and it needs to be restored. So, make sure to check the gas line at first and repair it.
- Build the ground stronger: The earthquake may crack the ground, thus weaken the power of the home or building. Mostly, the property that does not have a strong base that leads to the same. However, there is a huge need to restore that ground to keep yourself safe from further attacks of disaster.
- Repair the walls and doors: The disaster may cause cracks in the walls or realignments in doors and windows. These damages weaken the home that makes it extremely unsafe. Therefore, there is a need to repair these walls, doors, or windows to the strongest.
- Ensure repair of water and electricity lines: After the earthquake, make sure that the water and electricity lines are perfectly secure. If you feel any damage to them, just ensure to repair them as fast as possible. Also, make sure to keep the pipelines metallic, instead of flexible because metallic pipes are stronger.
The property should be safe to live in, even in times of disaster. One should have a home with a strong base, walls, doors, and contents. The disaster may prove to be very dangerous, but you must be prepared for that. You must take remediations for the earthquake, and further the ways to restore. Earthquake remediation and restoration through better entrepreneurs will give you a better and safer place to reside.